Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Hello Again, Treadmill

Towards the end of 2010, I was tough.

I ran in the cold. I ran in the snow.

I was close to invincible.

Then 2011 came. I started off the new year by sleeping in late and hitting up a McDonald's drive thru for lunch (complete with a Big Mac value meal).

I followed up this great start by getting only one run in between January 1st and 5th.

Now it's very early morning on January 6th and I'm dragging a 50 lb. suitcase filled with everything I'll need for my best friend's wedding and a seven day cruise to the Blue Line, and eventually, O'Hare airport. I've packed running gear as I plan on using my spare time to use the ship's gym.

Somehow my workout formula seems destined to fail.

We arrive in Puerto Rico ahead of schedule and walk out of the airport in to beautiful, sunny, 80 degree weather.

A thought cloud appears above my head. It reads 'I want to run!'

So the next day, I head out early with Jim and Jen to do just that. I went about a mile and a half with them before I have to turn around and head back. Apparently I'm a breakfast then exercise sort of gal.

Now we're boarding the boat and thoughts are running through my head of how this trip will be a big exercise fail. So I make a promise to myself that I'll get up at 7am the next morning and get a few miles in on the treadmill before getting ready for the wedding.

The next morning I walk up to the gym after breakfast. The ship is surrounded by St. Thomas. Absolutely beautiful. We have a big day ahead of us, so I need to get to work. Jim's already on mile 6 of his interval run when I start in on my workout.

As boredom sets in after mile one, I start remembering how much treadmills and I don't get along. I have magnificent views and a great new playlist on my ipod, but I'm still searching for entertainment. How incredibly boring it is to run in place. My mind wonders from wedding day details to the ship's itinerary to wondering, 'How long has it been since I've run on a treadmill?'

Good topic. It requires thinking and thinking takes time. I have lots of time.

My gym membership expired at the end of October. I did all of my training runs for the marathon outside, so that sets me back to June. I started preparing for marathon training back in the spring after my knee had heeled. Hmmm. Ok, my last physical therapy appointment was at the beginning of March. That's when I was told I could start running again. But by the end of March when I was in Miami, I was running outside already so...middle of March?

Wow, I've successfully avoided using a treadmill for ten months - and they were a sweet ten months indeed.

No comments: