Friday, June 04, 2010

Relay for Life

This evening I'm participating in Relay for Life an all-night cancer walk in Glenview.

The event consists of teams. The Glenview event has 60. A total of 400 something people. We'll be taking turns walking around the track for 12 hours. It all starts at 6pm.

I've done my share of cancer walks - In 2006, my friend Katie and I did the Susan G. Komen 3-Day. In 2007, we volunteered for the Avon walk.

Relay is walking around a track. It's not about distance or speed, it's about time. One member of the team must be on the track at all times. My team consists of my cousin and a handful of her friends. I'm doubling as a team member and chaperone.

The girls are 13. They plan on staying up all night by drinking caffeine and eating sugar.

I think I'll fore-go a run today in anticipating I'll be doing a lot of walking overnight.

No comments: