Monday, June 14, 2010

The Schedule



Training's all about the schedule. It's the road map to race day success.

It's a bit overwhelming, but at the same time I find comfort in knowing all I need to do is follow the schedule. There are identifiable stages to the schedule -

The first month or so is no problem. I can run the weekday runs at lunch and still have a bit of a life after work.

In the second month, we start getting into double digit long runs. Post-run breakfast becomes necessary, followed by a nap.

By mid-August I'm doing 5-7 miles during the week. A little too much for lunchtime, so they shift to the evening. Once we're up to 25-30 miles a week, I allow myself to eat whatever I want. Now here comes the fun part of training! This is around the time training takes over my life.

The infamous 20 miler takes place in mid-September. This is the furthest we'll run before the race. After the 20 miler, tapering begins. We run less and rest more.

Finally, in early October, we're ready to go.

No comments: