Monday, February 14, 2011

200 Miles. Madison to Chicago Relay

I think I've just agreed to do something crazy.

I may not be wheels up to Berlin in September, but it looks like I'm going to cover some ground in...Wisconsin.

In early June, I am going to be a member of a 12 person relay team which will run from Madison to Chicago. We will cover the 200 mile journey by running day and night over two days.

I know very little about the event, other than each of us will run three legs of varying distances (between 3 to 9 miles).

We will need two vans to carry the team and to keep pace with the person running, planting the next runner at the exchange area. The vans will be filled with the team's standard running gear, but will also include sleeping bags (although I've heard there will be little to no sleeping), reflective vests, head lamps, maps and lots of snacks.

Instead of batons, we will pass on a slap bracelet. Sweet!

If you're intrigued, visit the race's site at www.ragnarrelay.com/race/chicago

Jen ran this race a few years ago. She said it was a blast, besides from the fact that some of the people on her team did not complete their runs. Her team experienced some digestive issues, getting lost in the van a few times trying to find the next exchange point, and once having a runner get off course in the middle of the night. Sounds like a blast! ;)

Has anyone else participated in this race or a similar relay?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have not done this run but want to. I heard about this about a year ago. I hear stock up on the sports beans and gou. Can wait to see how it turns out. If you need an extra runner with a van let me know.
Cheers,
Kelly aka Kirbside