Monday, April 11, 2011

When Fitness Became Part of my Life


I was watching The Biggest Loser earlier this week and thought back to my life before fitness played such a large role in it.

I had recently graduated college. I was shopping for jeans one day at a local Gap. The jeans I had were too tight. I didn't see the next size up on the shelf, so I asked the sales associate for help.

In a very nice way, she told me I'd have to go to another store to get that size.

That's when it hit me.

A few hours later, I was at Lifetime Fitness talking with a personal trainer.

My trainer, Kevin, and I formed a great relationship. I was one of his first clients. We liked the same kind of music. He pushed me to do things in the gym I didn't think I could do. We had an agreement that I would take photos of myself every 6 to 8 weeks to show progress.

More than the strength and physical appearance, training gave me the knowledge of how to properly resistance train and weight lift, not to mention boosted my self esteem.

Personal training is the best money I've ever spent. I've told countless people that.

After Kevin left Lifetime, I continued training on my own.

I went from being someone who wasn't very active to someone who was at the gym four or five days a week. I knew my way around the free weight section of the gym. I took nearly every class Lifetime offered, from yoga to spin to boot camp, and loved them all.

Since that first day of training with Kevin, I've never forgotten that it takes a lot of work to stay fit, but it's all worth it. It makes me feel great, and positive attitudes are contagious.

I still think about those days when I'm pushing myself on a run, realizing how far I've come.

I know that I wouldn't be where I am today without the personal training experience. I'm grateful for that.

No comments: