Thursday, September 30, 2010

Red Light, Green Light




Training can be like driving in traffic.

You catch the green lights for awhile, then you're stuck at a red.

Yesterday I visited my doctor to get her assessment on my (k)ankle.

Me: "I twisted my ankle over the weekend while running."

[show kankle]

Me: "It doesn't hurt to walk on. It just looks bad because it's bruised. I am running the Marathon in 11 days."

[Doctor shoots a crazy look]

Dr: "Sorry, you're not running a marathon." She went on to explain how I could injure it more by continuing to run or cause a longer recovery period later on.

RED LIGHT

[Surprise, surprise; I start tearing up]

The Doctor did say she'd call to get a second option.

In the meantime, I called my Mom, who's very good at understanding sob talk.

Then I called Kim.

Kim is extremely knowledgeable when it comes to any aspect of running. She suggested I first and foremost listen to my body. I have time to still recover, and there's nothing you can do right or wrong during the taper.

Then, later in the evening, I went to see Erin, my massage therapist. Erin echoed what Kim said.

As I was driving home from the massage, the doctor called. She had spoken to an orthopedic surgeon. Turns out, the OS thinks a marathon can be pulled off while recently recovering from a sprain.

GREEN LIGHT

No comments: